Very light winds (F2 and dropping) from the SW meant that much of the south side of the Loch was in shadow. The course was C(port), D(port), K (starboard). The Feva set off first with a good few minutes start on the faster boats. This week the wind stayed steady during this time and they made good progress towards the gap before the chase was on. The Feva was first to mark D but, as the wind almost died, touched the mark as they floated slowly past. The Solution and Solo caught the Feva on the way to the channel but the Laser with no wind got stuck at D and had 3 attempts before finally rounding the mark.
The Solution kept the lead down to K, whilst the Feva bravely tried to find some wind to fill the gennaker. The Laser got going again but even with a 360 penalty, the Feva stayed well ahead. The Solution maintained the lead back up to C, with the Solo gradually dropping back. As the final time approached the wind dropped to barely a breath, leaving the Laser no opportunity to catch the Feva.
As the final whistle blew the finishing order was Dennis (Solution), Erwin (Solo), Jamie & Helen (Feva), Becci (Laser Radial). However, the slower boats were ashore and de-rigged before the other two managed to drift their way back from a second trip to mark D!!
Last Sunday we had our Cadet Regatta, with the restrictions in place we managed to get the youngsters rigged and ready to sail. Unfortunately, the wind was not working with us, there was not much to speak of. The first race was started but as the race officer (Simon B) noticed that the wind had dropped to a level that no-one was moving the race was postponed.
About 10 minutes later they managed to slowly start the first race, with the course set as F, C both to starboard, then G to port for 2 laps. Some managed to get some speed and others drifted slowly towards a mark. Due to the lack of wind the race officer decided to shorten the race to one lap, most boats managed to get towards the G mark (some drifting backwards) when there was a bit of wind blowing over the Loch. Martha was still trying to get past the first mark at this point, but with the wind increasing (a bit) they managed to get around the first 2 on their way to G. A refusal for a tow back to the jetty they persevered and finished the first race.
All boats came ashore for a break and revisiting the conditions. There was some more wind, but still not anything to make boats wobble from side to side. The second race was started, this time they did manage to get 2 laps in, the 29er did an additional lap (normally they should be able to lap some of the boats, but not in the conditions we had last Sunday).
Suzy had to bail out and did not start the last race due to family engagements. Drew decided that drifting around was not for him and resigned for the last race (let me know if this is incorrect ;-))
Results over 12
Lyall (3 pts)
Jamie (11 pts)
Suzy (12 pts)
Drew (13 pts)
Eoghan/Sebastian (16 pts)
Felicity/Martha (19 pts)
Results under 12
Kirsten/Helen (9 pts)
Here are the winners, and second place with their prizes, Congratulations!
Consistent wind conditions for four windward-leeward races to D (starboard) and back through A/Z. Each race lasted approximately 20 minutes and a small crowd (see picture) gathered for the exciting races. The wind direction was mostly from the west and the eight sailors enjoyed their three/four races (worst race result to be discounted). The thermometer suggested that the temperature was 25C, but with the wind and dark clouds (see additional picture) it felt much colder on the shore.
Eight sailors were in a variety of dinghies, which meant there were class-specific and PY competitive interests. The first three of the races saw the Lasers (Seb then Becci) and Solo (Erwin) finish closely together with a gap of the remaining two Toppers (Drew then Mark K), Feva (Helen and Jamie), and Oppi (Lyall). The first race saw Mark K have a Topper bailer issue and need to come ashore for a quick repair. Race three saw Helen and Jamie improve the use of their spinnaker and improve their finishing time compared to the earlier races. The fourth race saw Becci flying over the finishing line with a very convincing sail despite having a moderate start. The ominous Oppi was at the rear of all the races, but it stayed very close to the second group of sailors.
The race officer box was temporarily relocated to just outside the garage and a car’s horn (expertly pressed by Susan) was used to get racing started. There were no false starts and the standard of everyone’s starts was excellent. There were some interesting laylines taken during the races and it was noted that sailing by the lee did give Mark K an advantage over Drew downwind.
Mark K (DNF)
Discarding the worst result: Lyall 3 Drew 8 Becci 8 Sebastian 10 Erwin 14 Jamie 15 Mark 16
Following last Thursday’s announcement to move to phase 3, the committee have been working hard to complete our risk assessments and determine what measures need to be in place for us to be able to return to Club organised events and activities safely. This is now complete and a copy of the Club’s latest guidance, effective from tomorrow, is attached.
Please do take the time to read through the information, as you would expect we are not back to the way things were just yet. Access to the club buildings remains restricted and please do make sure that you wash/sanitise your hands before and after touching communal surfaces. Hardest of all, when another club member needs some help please stop for a moment to work out the best way to assist whilst keeping each other safe. Pulling a boat up the slipway together side by side for even a couple of minutes is likely to be a flag as far as contact tracing is concerned. However, with a bit of thought we can work as a team and still stay safe.
We are pleased to advise that Club racing will begin from this weekend and a revised program will be sent out soon. The planned windward-leeward series will run over the next four Sundays and a summer series will take place on Tuesday evenings. We have decided not to trial the Saturday race series as the radio sailors will be meeting every Saturday over the next few weeks, so please be aware of that if you plan to sail at the Club on a Saturday.
We also plan to run fun days for the younger members on Mon 27th and Tue 28th July. If your family would like to take part or assist please let me know.
Finally, if you still have a boat stored at the tattie shed, these should be collected before the end of July. (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Tony Walker to arrange access.) We are very grateful to Fraser for allowing us to store them longer than usual and rely on his goodwill each year.
A reminder also that membership renewals can be done online with payment by BACS.
We will continue to monitor the advice from the Scottish Government and RYA Scotland and will advise you of any changes to the arrangements over the coming weeks. If you have any comments or suggestions for improvement at the club relating to covid-19 arrangements please get in touch with me or Tony.
Last Saturday saw a return to sailing on Forfar loch, by Tony Walker and myself in a safe and socially distant manner. The conditions were almost ideal, it being both sunny and adequately windy. With the southerly wind blowing directly on to the pontoons it did necessitate a beach launch from the north side of the inch. The two that boats ventured out were my own Mirror and the newest addition to the club’s fleet, a Mirror called Snout.
Snout was donated to the club by Irene Bruce, a former member of the RTYC. We were a bit sceptical about the boat as when Mirrors are given away it’s usually for a good reason. However, this one turned out to be in excellent condition. The boat had been built by Irene’s father, and as she had now retired from sailing, she didn’t want to see the boat rot away in her garage. Snout is currently getting a few improvements, mostly to the running rigging, and will be available to all club members. Perhaps there may be some challenges for the Mirror Trophy.
I hope that you are well. I am sure that like me, you were all eager to hear what, if any, changes would be announced at the end of last week. Unfortunately, whilst England are taking the first steps in lifting restrictions, here in Scotland there has been no change.
As we wait for further announcements, we are continuing to monitor government advice and guidance from RYA Scotland. We are putting together a plan to restart sailing activity in a considerate and conservative way so that we are ready to return to sailing when it is permitted. Our primary consideration will be the health and safety of our members.
Meanwhile, we continue to do what we can and a number of you have been joining in with our virtual racing series. This has proved to be a pleasant distraction once a week, although I suspect that this lockdown will have to continue for some while yet before I consider that I have got the hang of it! Fortunately, some of our members have taken to it rather well and the radio sailors have demonstrated their skills very ably. My thanks to Erwin and Becci Oosterhoorn for setting up and running the sessions each week and also to Tony Walker, who has graciously kept me from finishing last! Plans to host an online quiz are also progressing and we hope to run that soon.
As you will understand, maintenance work at the Clubhouse has been unable to progress over recent weeks. However, with the dry weather that we have had over the last couple of months, the loch is at a very low level and it is an ideal time to carry out some necessary repairs to the pontoons. We have therefore ordered the required materials and plan to carry this work out in a few weeks’ time.
As the restrictions continue, we are all missing our usual activities and look forward to a return to sailing in some form in the near future. Meanwhile, we would love to hear your lockdown news, boat-related or otherwise, or any suggestions for online activities or training.